Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A brand new day

And a new outlook on life!


I have moved (upgraded) once again to another (and bigger) office down the hall. Still no window however. But I am sharing my space with another, Marc. Jess is out on maternity leave and had her baby at the beginning of October. Pregnancy is quite the popular trend here in the office. The first office when I arrived (Mike's secretary) was out on maternity leave. She came back and was promptly moved into Vivi's office who was also out on leave (she's coming back today or later in the week), hence the the reason for my third and most likely not my finally move into the current work space.


I'm hoping there isn't something in the water around here. I don't want to catch the Preggo Bug that's floating around. This is not to be confused with the red marinara sauce you can get at the local grocers.


Well, I've just finished editting the the FFT chapter, and with success I might add. 9,757 character with spaces and not including the title and reference pages. I've sent it off to Mike and hopefully that'll be the last I see of it until it gets into publication, because I could really use that check.

November is strolling up and my mom wants me back home with a job until I'm off to graduate school, whenever that is. I can't believe I've been here since August and its already getting close for me to leave. I just wish I could stay here longer because I don't want to go look for a job in the so-called "real world." First off, I think I'm over qualified for work. This is stemming from the fact last year when I was looking for a job and didn't get hired by anyone (well except for Market to Market which was a godsend). Its disheartening when you apply for Winn Dixie and they don't even look twice at you. My father works at WD and I had 4yrs experience working at a IGA grocery store in Stuart. Why not hire me? I'm a proficient bagger, had cashier training (all I would need to learn would be the produce codes and such) and I had worked in multiple departments. But no, I was overlooked. And now not to mention that I have a college degree.

My mom and aunt are also telling me to not intimidate employers...I think that's how they worded it. But I think that is literally impossible. How can they not be intimidated. I have a college degree, so they're thinking well why doesn't she get a job in her field. I can't really get a job in my field until I ship off to graduate school which is going to suck initially but I might be able to hold out for 2yrs. Also, I have a Psychology degree. That's all you have to say and people are freaking out. Like "omg she must be psycho-analyzing me, better watch what I say" kind of schticks. I hate telling people my degree. I roll my eyes and give a fake smile/laugh when ever they say this stuff. So I'm slightly tempted not to put it on an application or resume, but I have to.

I should be proud of my degree. Don't get me wrong, I am very proud of my achievements. I just wish others would break away from the generic assumptions of all psychology majors are psychoanalysts, Freudians, and counselors/therapists. Freud had wonderful theroies for the time, however, they just aren't applicable in today's order of things. Psychology has come a long way since the Freudians Age.

But not to get too off topic. Had a meeting with Mike about the Norway Presentation. It's progression is slow but underway. I'm doing a headline search for the beginning of the presentation. He wants something to make the introduction "pop" instead of using mundane statistics. So I'm going to be search newspapers as well as YouTube to find inspiration.

I'll be sure to post some of the more interesting findings.

No comments: